What is js13kGames?
Read Tuts+ Gamedev intro article, check the Resources page for useful tools,
and see the Rules for details - good luck and have fun!
Hi, I'm Andrzej
I'm running this competition on my own
in my free time. I acquired prizes worth more than 20.000 USD and will send the usual js13kGames t-shirts to all of the participants for free
(one t-shirt per entry, free shipping) just like in the previous years, and will add some stickers, gadgets (this year A-Frame cardboards for all), and other swag as usual.
To help me keep the competition going you can send a few bucks via the PayPal button below, thank you!
Share the love for HTML5 games and support the js13kGames competition!
See the Contact section for more details on how to get in touch.
Veteran developer and producer. An Anime and Manga buff. The Afro Samurai in the growing Casumo gaming team. He’s got the style, the moves, the hair – OK maybe not the hair. Join him and the Casumo team on their mission to create innovative games and generally kick ass!
Winners - Desktop
1st place Greeble by Ryan 'Rybar' Malm
2nd place LOSSST by Maxime Euziere
3rd place Lost Beacons by Rémi Vansteelandt
4th place The Lost Packets by ElementalSystems
5th place Lost in a Space Odyssey by MarcGuinea
6th place A moment lost in time. by piesku.com
7th place Search of Sounds by Vitalii Liapin
8th place BUNNY LOST! by Eoinmcg
9th place Where is Winston by Gheja_
10th place You Are Lost by Rebecca
11th place A Day In The Life by Mattia Fortunati
12th place Blackbox: Lost Particles by Adam Jakubowski
13th place Trapped in the Hyperdimensional Maze by Benjamin Hanken
14th place LOST AND ANGRY by Jesús Olmos
15th place Mauja by Viktor & Pavlo
16th place Lost on Stranger Terra by Csaba Csecskedi
17th place Lost Marbles by Rene Hangstrup Møller
18th place EYESORE! by Alastair Pearce
19th place Just go straight by Pierre Gimond
20th place Neon Dungeon by Attila Horváth
- 21. Adrift by Dhmstark
- 22. Instructions lost by ElGregos
- 23. AMAZ3D by Greweb
- 24. Have you missed the TUTORIAL for life? by Infernet89
- 25. Mission 13 - Lost in Space by Andrew Stavast
- 26. Loud Maze by Towc
- 27. Battle Surge by John Afolayan
- 28. Earth - the orbitless planet by Quang Loc Tran
- 29. Lost Treasure by SamirH
- 30. Evil Wood by Eric Rowell
- 31-40. At Journey's End, Pandemia, The Lost Dungeon, Ælbahkat: The Lost Islands, Where We're Going, We Do Need Roads, they will find you, City of Lost Drones, They Are Lost, GL-Escape, Lost in Asterion
- 41-50. Riding Hoods, Formation Absent, A King's Journey: Chapter 3: Trapped & Poisoned, Lost in the woods, Square, Divine Descent, Escape, Lost In Labyrinth, The Forest, 13K bytes under the seas
- 51-60. The Wrong Universe, Lost in Confusion, Explorer camp, Lost, Lost Love, Greedy Circles: The maze of riches, Fear the Dark, Lost Luggage, Lost Pixels, Lost Luna
- 61-70. Veda's Run, muri, Verloren, Lost Worlds, Deep Inside, DEEP SPACE, The forgotten cave, Epic Loot, Ghost Goes Lost, Spacefield League
- 71-80. Concentration Lost, Save the Lost Friend, Hoosdere, Down the Drain, Round Royale, Lost Compass, All is not lost., Run Chicken Run, Alien Millionaire, Lost Fleet
- 81-90. Lost Time, 3D Lost Maze, Me Myself and i, Get Gerry Home, Mazeren, Lost in Deep Space, Incurable, Lost Square Adventures, Raider of the Lost Gems, Twisted Tunnels
- 91-100. Lost Caves, I’ve lost my parents!, LostintheWoods, Vendredi, A Tourist in Paris, Lost Soul, Lost in the Stars, Lost in Vim, Adrift to the Abyss, Lonely soul
Winners - A-Frame
1st place Lost in CYBERSPACE by Zosia & Bartek
2nd place Vernissage by Platane
3rd place Coconutty by Mary Knize
4th place Lost Pacman by MarcGuinea
5th place Polyhedron Runner by Alex Swan
6th place She is my universe by Madmarcel
7th place Spacewrecked by Sorskoot
8th place Shifted Dimensions by Nylki
9th place Wandering Moon by Jack Greenberg
10th place Lost in Guam by Kenneth Banico
- 11. Balloon Problems by Fasility
- 12. Lost in my mind by Lasagne Games
- 13. Lost In The Forest Dungeon by Luke
- 14. GalacticDiamond by Mitruska
- 15. Cat meow by Lislis
- 16-20. Metamorphosis, A-Snake, where?what?, Don't let your dreams be memes, Fly South
Winners - Mobile
1st place LOSSST by Maxime Euziere
2nd place The Lost Packets by ElementalSystems
3rd place BUNNY LOST! by Eoinmcg
4th place Where is Winston by Gheja_
5th place A Day In The Life by Mattia Fortunati
6th place Blackbox: Lost Particles by Adam Jakubowski
7th place LOST AND ANGRY by Jesús Olmos
8th place Mauja by Viktor & Pavlo
9th place EYESORE! by Alastair Pearce
10th place AMAZ3D by Greweb
- 11. Mission 13 - Lost in Space by Andrew Stavast
- 12. Loud Maze by Towc
- 13. The Lost Dungeon by Chris Glover
- 14. Where We're Going, We Do Need Roads by Mark Vasilkov
- 15. Formation Absent by FoumartGames
- 16. Lost in Jungle by Zendrael
- 17. Lost Luna by Keith Karnage
- 18. Lost Worlds by TheJosh
- 19. DEEP SPACE by Kieran Smith
- 20. Epic Loot by Frank Mitchell
- 21-30. Round Royale, Run Chicken Run, Alien Millionaire, Lost Time, Get Gerry Home,
Raider of the Lost Gems, Just Plane Astray, A Tourist in Paris, Adrift to the Abyss, Lonely soul
Winners - Server
1st place Lost Luna by Keith Karnage
2nd place Spacefield League by Antonio Salvati
3rd place Round Royale by Michał Skowronek
4th place Lost Fleet by Euston Fish
5th place LabyIO by NoNiMad
- 6. Lost Islands by n7best
- 7. Dungeon Something by Ciro DE CARO and MeKeyCool
- 8. Scribble by Vishnu Bharathi
Community Awards winners
Voted among the developers themselves.
- 1. Mauja by Viktor & Pavlo - 41 points
- 2. LOSSST by Maxime Euziere - 38 points
- 3. Lost Beacons by Rémi Vansteelandt - 28 points
- 4. Greeble by Ryan 'Rybar' Malm - 26 points
- 4. Where is Winston by Gheja_ - 26 points
- 6. Where We're Going, We Do Need Roads by Mark Vasilkov - 16 points
- 6. EYESORE! by Alastair Pearce - 16 points
- 8. A moment lost in time. by piesku.com - 14 points
- 8. Coconutty by Mary Knize - 14 points
- 10. BUNNY LOST! by Eoinmcg - 13 points
- 11. Adrift by Dhmstark - 12 points
- 12. Lost Marbles by Rene Hangstrup Møller - 11 points
- 12. You Are Lost by Rebecca - 11 points
- 14. Just go straight by Pierre Gimond - 10 points
- 14. Lost in Asterion by Santiago Zapata ⁄ Slashie - 10 points
- 14. Pandemia by Satanas - 10 points
- 17. Fear the Dark by Renae & Dave - 9 points
- 18. Riding Hoods by Keltzow - 8 points
- 19. AMAZ3D by Greweb - 7 points
- 19. At Journey's End by Corson, Todd, Kevin - 7 points
- 19. City of Lost Drones by Igor Khotin - 7 points
- 19. Lost on Stranger Terra by Csaba Csecskedi - 7 points
- 23. Rogue Scavenger13K by LuisQuin - 6 points
- 23. Lost Treasure by SamirH - 6 points
- 23. Instructions lost by ElGregos - 6 points
- 23. Cat Meow by Lislis - 6 points
- 27. Search of Sounds by Vitalii Liapin - 5 points
- 27. Alien Millionaire by Piotr & Igor - 5 points
- 29. Lost in Vim by PiGames - 4 points
- 29. DEEP SPACE by Kieran Smith - 4 points
- 31-37. A Tourist in Paris, Splat Paddlers, Vernissage, Veda's Run,
Ælbahkat: The Lost Islands, Divine Descent, Lost Bricks - 3
- 38-52. Lost in CYBERSPACE, Lonely Soul, Trapped in the Hyperdimensional Maze, The Lost Dungeon,
PrisonRi0t, Pacman lost in tiles, Metamorphosis, Lost in my mind, DACHU, Escape, Epic Loot,
Formation Absent, Get Lost Hombre!, Have you missed the TUTORIAL for life? - 2
- 53-72. Lazer Car, Incurable, Lost Soul, World Lost, The Wrong Universe, The Game, The Walls Are Lasers, Lost Sessions With Bob,
Me Myself and I, Lost in Jungle, Lost in Confusion, Lost in Font, Galactic Winds II: The Lost Battle, Lost Luna, Lost in squares,
Fly South, Get Gerry Home, Buoing: Black Hole, Castaway, A King's Journey: Chapter 3: Trapped & Poisoned - 1
Social Special winners
For the most popular games on the social networks.
- 1. LOSSST by Maxime Euziere
- 2. Greeble by Ryan 'Rybar' Malm
- 3. Where is Winston by Gheja_
- 4. Lost in Asterion by Santiago Zapata ⁄ Slashie
- 5. Lost Beacons by Rémi Vansteelandt
- 1. Deep Inside by Workplace Depression
- 2. The Lost Elephant by Rituraj
- 3. Adrift by Dhmstark
- 4. The Lost Samurai by Deepak Kumar
- 5. Earth - the orbitless planet by Quang Loc Tran
30 × GitHub account
Thirty paid GitHub plans - personal accounts with unlimited private repositories for twelve months.
10 × PlayCanvas account
Ten 6-month PlayCanvas Personal accounts offering a cloud-hosted, collaborative platform for building games.
1 × Proto.io account
One Proto.io account with Startup plan for 12 months.
3 × Jscrambler license
Three Jscrambler Professional licenses for three months each.
∞ × AirConsole Hero
Unlimited subscription plans of the AirConsole Hero for one year each for every participant of the competition.
3 × CodePen Pro account
Three CodePen Pro Starter accounts with lots of cool features for 12 months.
5 × NodeBB hosting
Five Hamlet hosting plans for 12 months each from the NodeBB team.
5 × Cloud9 IDE subscription
Five Cloud9 individual subscriptions: 1 year for 1st place, 6 months for 2nd and 3rd, 3 months for 4th and 5th.
2 × Dotcom-Monitor
Two Dotcom-Monitor performance monitoring accounts.
There will be four different categories, you can submit your game to any of them - it's up to you.
There's a special page for everything about the new A-Frame category if you want to know more.
Full power of the hardware.
Mobile touch devices.
There will also be a Twitter, Facebook and Google+ Specials just like before,
and the famous Community Awards voted among all the participants.
Top 13 games
- 1st place: Proto.io, CodePen Pro, Kendo UI, JSBin Pro, Phaser Editor
- 2nd-3rd places: CodePen Pro, Kendo UI, JSBin Pro, Phaser Editor
- 4th-5th places: Kendo UI, JSBin Pro, Phaser Editor
- 6th-10th places: JSBin Pro, Phaser Editor
- 11th-13th places: Phaser Editor
Top 10 games
- 1st-2nd places: Construct 3, WebStorm, ImpactJS, Kenney Game Assets 2
- 3rd-4th places: WebStorm, ImpactJS, Kenney Game Assets 2
- 5th place: ImpactJS, Kenney Game Assets 2
- 6th-10th places: Kenney Game Assets 2
Top 5 games
- 1st-3rd places: Jscrambler, NodeBB
- 4th-5th places: NodeBB
Top 10 games
- 1st-3rd places: WebStorm, VR Gamedev mini-degree, PlayCanvas
- 4th-5th places: VR Gamedev mini-degree, PlayCanvas
- 6th-10th places: PlayCanvas
Top 30 entries (voted among developers themselves)
- 1st place: Kenney Asset Forge, Evil Glitch, Glitchbuster, GitHub
- 2nd-3rd places: Evil Glitch, Glitchbuster, GitHub
- 4th-10th places: Glitchbuster, GitHub
- 11th-30th places: GitHub
Prizes for every entry
All submitted games
- js13kGames 2017 t-shirt, A-Frame cardboard, stickers, AirConsole Hero subsciption
Package size below 13 kB
Two sources - readable and compressed
The competition is focusing on the package size, but learning from others is also very important. Please provide two sources of your game - first one should be minified and zipped to fit in the 13 kB limit (sent via the form) and the second one should be in a readable form with descriptive variable names and comments (hosted on GitHub).
No external libraries or services
You can't use any libraries, images or data files hosted on server or services that provide any type of data - for example Google Fonts are not allowed. Your game should work offline by launching the index.html file in the browser (Desktop and Mobile categories, not applicable to Server) and all the game assets should fit in the package size limit. If you manage to shrink your favorite library below 13 kilobytes including the code itself, then you can use whatever you want, just remember about the 13 kB limit.
The main theme of the competition in 2017 is: lost. It's highly advised to follow it in your game, because the judges will pay attention to that, but you can freely interpret the theme and implement it however you feel would be the best.
Deadline - 13th September 2017
The competition starts at 13:00 CEST, 13th August 2017 and ends at 13:00 CEST, 13th September 2017. No submissions will be accepted after the end of the competition.
You have to have the rights for every asset used in your game. Remember that the submitted games will be published and made available for everybody to see.
New content only
Do not submit any old games or demos - you have a whole month to work on something new and fresh, this should be more than enough.
Errors and browser support
Your game must work and be playable in at least two browsers: Firefox and Chrome. The more supported browsers, the better - you can get more points for that. There should be no errors - you can lose some points if your game is showing any errors in the console. If we cannot play your game, it won't be accepted.
It doesn't matter if you're working alone or with your friends, just remember that the number of prizes is fixed, so you'll have to share your trophies with your teammates.
There's a special form to submit your game. Please remember that you have to provide two sources (see the Rule #2 for details) - a link to a public repository on Github and a zipped package. Participants are allowed to submit more than one game in the competition, though sending the same game as independent submissions targeting different platforms (for example separate builds for desktop and mobile) is forbidden.
Submissions will be checked manually and published after positive verification. This may take up to a couple of days, so be patient if your game is not yet online. I claim the right to reject any submission without giving a reason, although I hope I don't have to. I also have the right to update the rules of the competition at any time.
Time frames for voting, judging and announcing winners
The Social Specials contest will be held from the start of the compo on August 13th till the end of the judging on September 27th, winners will be announced on the same day right after it ends. The Community Awards voting among the participants will last for a week between September 13th and 20th, winners will be announced on September 21st. Judges will vote for the games during the two week period after the submission time ends: from September 13th till 27th, winners will be announced on September 28th.
Server category specific rules
All the Server category rules, the sandbox server and the demo code can be found at github.com/js13kGames/js13kserver.
Code of conduct
All participants and judges at js13kGames are required to agree with the following code of conduct. Organizers will enforce this code throughout the online event. We are expecting cooperation from all participants to help ensuring a safe environment for everybody.
Js13kGames is dedicated to providing a harassment-free competition experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of competition participants in any form. Competition participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the competition at the discretion of the competition organizers. TL;DR: Be excellent to each other.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why exactly 13 kB?
- Well... why not? :)
- What's in it for you? Are you getting paid?
- Nope, it's just my own idea and it's made for pure fun. I'd love to get a sponsorship though as I spent my own private money on the first edition to cover shipping of the prizes worldwide, making t-shirts etc.
- What does the "zipped" term exactly mean?
- Sent package should be zipped with your usual system archiver, the only allowed extension is .zip. Let's keep it simple - it's a competition for coders and this should be your main focus, the code itself. Thanks to the zipped archive you will easily send your game and we will easily check the file size.
- Can I use Flash?
- Can I use WebGL?
- Yes, though it might be hard to fit it into 13 kilobytes if you plan on doing an FPS game.
- Can I use CoffeeScript or TypeScript?
- Can I use compression through the self-extracting PNGs?
- You can use it, but remember that the zip is as good, or even better in terms of compression than PNGs, so there's no point in doing so.
- More questions?
- Send them in via email or social media or post them in the dedicated topic at the HTML5GameDevs forums.
If You have any questions or propositions please feel free to contact us via e-mail: email@example.com.
The other options include visiting our profiles on Twitter or Facebook,
or joining our Slack channel and sending us the private message.